Working for Swalings
As you can imagine, outstanding doesn’t happen by accident. At Swalings we strive to give our customers the best service possible, right from the initial enquiry and continuing throughout their journey with us. It takes an amazing team to exceed their expectations in every way.
We’re always on the lookout for people with a passion for providing the kind of services and experience we’d expect to receive ourselves.
At Swalings, our staff are expected to be passionate about the range of activities they are involved in — we recruit individuals who demonstrate a desire to get involved, further their skills, and share their enthusiasm and expertise with our clients.
Interested in joining the best team in the business? Think you’ve got what it takes? Read on…
- Why work for us?
- Who are we looking for?
- What we offer
- Job description
- How to apply
- Swalings Academy
We are absolutely dedicated to providing the best service to all our clients in every aspect of the business. In the sports programs — whether they are beginners, experts or somewhere in between — we make sure our lessons are really accessible, fun, productive and truly memorable for all our pupils. Swalings is the leading provider of sports education in Antigua.
We are very much aware that without our exceptional team of people, our services would be much like everyone else’s. Instead, through ensuring provision of great working conditions and career opportunities, we attract and retain the very best people, who, together, create unparalleled learning experiences.
A few facts:
- We have almost three decades of experience in operating swimming programs worldwide, offering our pupils the very best service at all levels, beginner, intermediate, advanced, babies water acquaintance , water aerobics and lifesaving among others.
- Swalings pioneered ‘The Learn to Swim’ program in Antigua, now having run the most successful swimming school on the island for over five years.
- Our swimming school is renowned for its high standards and having a long-standing professional relationship with the STA (the leading governing body for Swimming instruction and water safety standards in Great Britain), the ASA (another governing body) and the FSB.
- There’s barely an award in the business that we haven’t already won. Swalings achieved Distinction for the STA Mark award both in the UK and Antigua, Swalings Antigua being the first international swimming school to be awarded with the STA Mark. Caroline Swatton the Director of Swalings International was runner up for the prestigious European Women of Achievement Awards for her contribution to swimming, out of over 2100 nominees from across Europe.
- We now also operate the Swalings Academy in Antigua, offering a broad range of professional instructor training and qualification opportunities to hotels and business, as well as those who want to guarantee themselves employment as an instructor with Swalings (upon successful completion of the relevant courses).
We are looking for naturally friendly people who have a passion for learning and interacting with clients, who really believe they can make a great contribution to our award-winning team. Go-getters who want to achieve, who like to have fun. We are looking for people who look after themselves and take pride in their appearance and those with the right attitude as well as aptitude.
All Swalings staff, whatever their role, will come into regular contact with our clients and other staff, and should possess strong yet natural interpersonal skills. We’re looking for warm, enthusiastic and approachable types, so that our pupils always feel comfortable and confident that every element of their lesson is being taught by people that care about their progress. The way we look after our clients (and each other) is a vital element in the delivery of our top notch service.
With Swalings, you’ll also be expected to be passionate about the range of activities available. We’re looking for individuals who demonstrate a desire to get involved, further their skills, and share their enthusiasm and expertise with our clients.
If you think you see yourself as part of this team, we would love to interview you.
We currently run gap programs offering three or six month placements. The placements are always under review. If you are interested in applying for a more permanent job after the 3 or 6 month period you will need to indicate your intention 4 weeks prior to the end of your placement period so we can review the application.
The investment for the three (3) month placement is £2950.
These fees include a food allowance, accommodation, pick up and drop of at the airport.
These fees do not include flights, visa / work permit, kit or insurance.
The six (6) month placement is £5900.
These fees include a food allowance, accommodation, pick up and drop at airport.
These fees do not include flights, visa / work permit, kit or insurance.
Swalings Antigua offers a vast number of sporting activities, including football (soccer), volleyball, rugby, and P.E. programs for local schools. Its main body of work is swimming and water activities, ranging from beginners, intermediate and advanced swimmers, lifesaving, water aerobics, private lessons and Birthlight (water submersion for babies 3 months plus).
We also organise children’s birthday parties, offering games and lifeguards for pool and beach activities. During the school holidays we fun multi-activity afternoons with a host of different sports and activities, as well as Learn to Swim crash courses.
Swalings offers a high end babysitting and nanny agency for locals and tourists alike, as well as running training courses in first aid, lifeguarding and swim teaching to hotels and local businesses.
As part of the Swalings team, you could be called upon to work in any of the above areas, hence needing to be a dynamic, energetic individual willing to try new things and give it your all. Up-to-date swimming teacher and lifeguard qualifications are mandatory, any other qualifications in sports coaching are a bonus. Hands-on training will be available for all other aspects of the business.
It’s simple. After reading all the information on our recruitment pages and having decided you would like to apply for an opportunity to work as part of our outstanding team, send us an email through the Contact Form below. You will then need to put together an application pack to contain the following:
- 2 references from previous and/or current employers.
- 1 character reference.
- 2 passport size photos.
- 1 CRB police check.
- 1 C.V. / Resume.
- Copies of certificates of qualifications you have in the relevant field, e.g. swimming instructors, lifeguards, sports coaching, child care, etc.
- A job application letter.
- A copy of your passport and driving license.
Once complete, send hard copies of this information to the UK head office and the Antigua office.
UK Head Office
PO Box 4596
Swalings Antigua Limited
PO Box 79
After the successful launch of the Swalings Academy in 2006, this year’s Academy will take place in Antigua this September. This destination and learning environment provides the perfect conditions for you to learn and develop your skills, whatever your starting level, enabling you to gain essential qualifications to progress in the swimming, lifeguard, first aid and activities industries.
We know, from over a quarter of a century of experience, the skills we look for in our staff, and so are the perfect choice to help guide you on the first steps of a career in an expanding dynamic and rewarding industry.
At the Swalings Academy, subject to meeting the pre-requisites and necessary skill levels, you will be able to gain qualifications from the following list:
- STC B — Swimming Teacher Qualification
- STC F — Full Teacher Qualification
- NaRS PH
- NaRS PL